.

Tuesday 6 December 2016

TWFT: Don’t forget to thank God

6 December 2016
‘When you have eaten and are satisfied, praise the LORD your God.’
Deuteronomy 8:10 NIV (2011 Edition)
We decided to reprint this story because its message is timeless. ‘They huddled inside the storm door - two children in ragged, oversized coats. “Any old papers, lady?” I was busy. I wanted to say no - until I saw their feet. Little sandals sopped with sleet. “Come in and I’ll make you some hot cocoa.” There was no conversation. Their soggy sandals left marks on the hearthstone. I served them cocoa with toast and jam to fortify them against the chill outside. Then I went back to the kitchen to work on my household budget. The silence in the front room struck through me. I looked in. The little girl held the empty cup in her hands and looked at it. The boy asked, “Lady, are you rich?” I looked at my shabby slipcovers. “Am I rich? Mercy, no!” The girl put the cup in its saucer - carefully. “Your cups match your saucers.” Her voice was old with a hunger not of the stomach. They then left, holding their bundles of paper against the wind. They hadn’t said thank you. They didn’t need to - they’d done more than that. Much more. Plain blue pottery cups and saucers, but they matched. Potatoes in brown gravy; a roof over our heads; my man with a good steady job - these things matched, too. I moved the chairs back from the fire and tidied the living room. The muddy prints of small sandals were still wet on my hearth. I let them be. I want them there in case I ever forget how rich I am!’ The word for you today is: don’t forget to thank God.
Bible in a Year: Hosea 13-14; Rev 1; 

No comments: